Cloxacillin is indicated for the treatment of infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci that are resistant to benzylpenicillin. It is used against gram-positive staphylococcus aureus in:
● skin and soft tissue infections, e.g. abscesses, cellulitis.
Cloxacillin should not be given to patients with a history of penicillin allergy or administered to neonates born of mothers hypersensitive to penicillin.
Patients allergic to cephalosporins may also be allergic to penicillins.
Cloxacillin is incompatible with aminoglycosides, tetracyclines, erythromycin and polymyxin B.
Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, and mouth sores may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), new fever, chills, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
Before taking cloxacillin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other antibiotics including penicillin-type medications (e.g., amoxicillin, ampicillin, penicillin) or cephalosporins (e.g., cephalexin, cefuroxime); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney problems.
This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
This drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Use with caution in patients with a known history of allergy to penicillins.
When administered to a patient with penicillin sensitivity anaphylactic shock may occur. Adrenaline, corticosteroids and antihistamines should be used to treat anaphylaxis.
Due to the variability in intestinal absorption, oral administration is not a suitable substitute for the parenteral treatment of serious infections.
Convulsions and other signs of toxicity to the central nervous system may occur with very high doses, particularly when administered intravenously to patients with renal failure. Nephrotoxicity may occur in patients with diminished renal function. Treatment of overdosage is symptomatic and supportive.
Store below 25℃. Protect from moisture. Keep out of reach of children.